Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Sharpener that NEVER Gets to the Point

It was a late Wednesday night and a Midterm has just blown through...I was exhausted but also relieved...but most exhausted.  I decided to eat, take a nap, and then continue on with my studies for my Discrete test on Friday.  I pulled out my trustee pencil to find that its tip was broken.  No fear my roommate had a sharpener handy...literally the worst sharpener I have ever experienced in my life.  In fact, I deleted my last blog post just to talk about this pencil sharpener right now.  The sharpener would never sharpen my pencil to a point and halfway through the struggle, the sharpener GOT JAMMED WITH MY PENCIL SHAVINGS.  It would have been okay if that was it, but the dam thing broke my pencil.  Look below:

This is all that is left of my pencil...notice that the pencil...is still not sharpened to a point.  It does not do what it is supposed to do and it breaks what I love.  I hate this design.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, this looks like a case of cheap design. It is not that all pencil sharpeners are like this, but that you 'get what you pay for.' The vacuum seal ones are incredible if you ever need one! But I totally agree with you that it is annoying when an object has one job to do and it can't even do it. If it had an auxuiliary purpose, it would be different but when something is made to do ONE thing and it can't do it, that really grinds my gears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use mechanical pencils because I push down too hard when I write. I feel your pain with the cheap sharpeners, it could be the most annoying thing. The sharpener that I have right now forces me to run through my pencils. I'll be lucky if a pencil lasts me a couple days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike Dylan my muscles are not too huge and uncontrollably powerful to use a mechanical pencil, so I haven't had to deal with this sort of problem in a long time. However, I remember as a kid using sharpeners similar to this all the time, and they were absolutely terrible. I got to the point where I knew certain ways to make it work just from having to use the awful design so many times. The wood and lead often gets caught in the razor, preventing you from sharpening your pencil and forcing you to constantly remove shavings. The only reason these things still sell is because they are so cheap.

    ReplyDelete