Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Hey a Post about Good Design

Well it was a friday and I was walking over a friend's room in one of the North Village apartments.  Looking to see some friends and perhaps share in some party shenanigans.  The issue was, I hadn't been to the apartment in what seemed like a month and couldn't remember the room number.  I knew it was on the end though, so I took a chance...upon entering the wrong apartment, which I immediately realized, I was greeted by questioning but amiable hellos.  Turns out I knew these people too so it was not so bad and they were having a more relaxing evening so when they invited me in, I was quick to oblige.
     It wasn't until I walked into the room did I see this beauty, " CAN I TAKE A PICTURE OF THAT FOR MY CLASS BLOG!"...uhhhh more or less it came out like that.  There was some laughter...realization i was serious and then a beaming smile of pride for their lovely couch table.  It looked like this:


Good GOD this thing was convenient.  The little arms on the sides go completely horizontal while there is a sturdy spring between the arms that pull them in making the side table adjustable to any size couch arm.  A thing of glory it is.  Though convenient, it isn't cumbersome.  The legs pull in slowly to fold underneath the table making it a convenient tray to carry around the room.  The size is also small enough so as to not interupt action in the chair, but large enough to accomodate some essential items you would want to put down if you were within table reach; i.e. a cup, a dessert plate, or even a laptop.  This design takes the user's activity as well as its own purpose as its first and foremost concern.  Many versions of this invention I'm sure exist or were even used to create this model in the past but this is the polished functional model that really brings it all together

DeSIGNING off,

Ahmed Mustafa

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I wrote my first post about good design today, too! I really like this idea, it makes it convenient to set up a side-table wherever you need one even if the couch is wedged against the wall and there's actually no space for one in your room. The only problem I can see is the tradeoff of losing your arm-rest space. I could see myself going to put my arm up on the armrest and knocking everything over. But I mean, I am klutzier than your average human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually couldn't tell what this was until I fully finished reading your blog. Reason being, I've never seen something like this. This looks like a nifty design and something I can sure use. I can't tell you how many times I've brought a drink or a bowl of something to my couch only to forget I have it there. Too many times I get up and just totally kick over whatever I had. I think my carpet eats more food than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, this thing is actually exactly what our apartment has been looking for. We needed a little flat surface on one of the arms of the couch. We actually considered making one ourselves that would have been similar. I like this one though because it seems sturdier than something that we would have made. Also it seems like they got the size just right where I am sure we would have messed that up in making it either to big or too small.

    ReplyDelete