Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Light that Never Lit Anything


We got a lamp from the good will pile of trash last semester, my roommate and I.  It worked really well and actually matched another lamp that my roommate so we went ahead and grabbed it despite it not having the shade on one of the bulbs.  So this is what it looks like:




Unfortunately as soon as I turned it on I realized the error in our ways.  The lamp light, unhindered by the lamp shade was just a blossom of light that when pointed up blinds those who are walking around:








 and when pointed down blinds those who are sitting.



I thought well thats not the designs fault as much as it is just a missing piece.  After using the fully functional lamp I noticed that the issues though less severe persisted...this second lamp head needs to have had lower wattage or something.

3 comments:

  1. My first thought would be to just take the bulb out and use the lamp solely for the top light but I'm not sure if this would illuminate the room enough. My second thought is that I hope this lamp was less than $3.50. That last picture of the light is actually blinding my eyes through a computer picture. I can't imagine the intensity it has in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe put a plastic pumpkin over the lamp for a mystic effect or something, lol. It is pretty disturbing looking at that last picture. It looks like a lamprey is about to rip my eyes off. They really need to keep the wattage in check I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this same lamp! It does actually come with a cover for the lower bulb... the person who had it before you must have unscrewed it for some reason. This lamp and I were very happy for one semester, but after I stored it for the summer it kept shorting out on me. I would wake up in the morning and realize my alarm hadn't gone off because the power to my room had shut off. I knew the lamp was the culprit when I saw sparks shooting out of it a few days later.

    ReplyDelete