Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Spot of Bad Design

I was over in downtown Greenville, actually doing some user observations for the FOMO problem, and stopped by the tea cafe Tealoha.  I looked around for my subject scoped the spot I would sit at and ordered my tea.  When it was brought to me at my table, I was already doing user observations so I didn't really notice.  I reached out for the handle of the cup and lifted it to my lips...except I felt a small stabbing pain where my fingers were touching the handle.  The culprit?  Bad design Exhibit A:

Connected both sides of the handle was a middle ridge that acted as a seem on the outside of the handle.  The two pieces of glass created a sharp edge to pickup and since the whole glass was made from glass, I couldn't just grab the cup without burning my hands.  I ended up holding the cup from the top most edges of the circular part of the cup.

Sincerely,

Ahmed Mustafa

1 comment:

  1. You didn't include the whole picture but my guess would be that this cup with design only with aesthetic appeal in mind. Consequently, the actual functionality of the product is lacking

    ReplyDelete